Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chile Shakes Again

Today my boyfriend sent me this Web site and told me that the earth was shaking brigido--really hard. 11 earthquakes. Of the 11, 3 were over 6.0 (one at 6.9), the rest over 5.0, 50 miles from Santiago. He was worried--it's hard to concentrate on work and a social life when the darn earth keeps moving beneath you.

It's one thing to be in a 8.8 and the aftershocks. Or to be in a 6.9 (like the Loma Prieta) and the aftershocks. But to be in an 8.8 and then 13 days later be in a 6.9 with aftershocks...well, that's something different entirely!

I guess I picked a good time to return home, however much my mind and heart still lingers there.

Talk of earthquakes has made me begin to imagine them here. Or perhaps it's like sympathy pregnancy. I feel sympathy aftershocks.

My heart goes out to Pollo and the viejas, Kanke and Javiera and their families.

All I can hope is that when the earth moves in waves there, they all get ready to surf.

No comments: